Monday, February 11, 2013

Book Recommendations

One of the options that my students have in their "Read to Self" center is to write a book recommendation. It is just a short and sweet way for them to share what they are reading and enjoying with others (and it is a quick way for me to check in with what they are reading as well!). 

In our classroom library hanging on the wall we have our "What do you recommend?" board. This is where the students post their recommendations. I have it located in the library so that they can check it out when they book shop to see if there is anything they would like to check out!


Here is what the recommendations look like up close filled out by a few of my kiddos...

English


and Spanish (I have them printed back to back so they can decide based on the language of the book they are reading)


One thing I would highly recommend if you want quality "reasons for recommending" is to create an anchor chart and brainstorm with your students some good reasons/examples of why one may recommend a book. We did this (I meant to snap a photo of the chart...sorry for my failure!) and it really helped to boost their reasoning beyond because it was good or interesting, etc.

One other thing to note, is that I have my library organized by genre for the most part and then a few baskets mixed in with Dr. Seuss or Clifford books, etc. Thus, my students have the option of writing the genre or basket name depending on what makes more sense. I have left this option for you as well as created some with just "genre" and some with just "basket" as an option to hopefully accomodate for different library set ups.

Snag a free copy of this book recommendation that we use in both English and Spanish by clicking on the image below:


(Font: Kevin and Amanda, Border: Creative Clips)




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the freebie! These are a great way to help students communicate about books!
    What i have learned

    ReplyDelete