Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Guest Blogger Week: Oral Language



I'm Libby from First Grade Dual, previously Dual Kinder Teacher and I'm so excited to be guest blogging here at Second Grade Superkids with Krista! 

I have been teaching for 18 years in Kinder, 1st, and 2nd grade Dual Immersion.  Our goal is to have fully bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural students.  In order to achieve this goal we focus a lot on oral language development.  What better way to develop a new language, vocabulary, and improve reading skills!

I wish high school teachers included more chants and songs to teach a second language.  There is less anxiety when you're learning a new song.  I mean, who doesn't love to sing along with the radio or ipod, we think we know the words, and if we don't, no big deal, we're still jammin'.  The same holds true with our little ones.

Most of the music/ chants I use come from José Luis Orozco, love him!  


From day 1, we start each morning in our class shaking hands while greeting a partner to “Buenos Días”.  After a while, I’ll type out the song, have students illustrate it and find specific words or syllables that we have been working on in class.

I just love it when students yell out, “Maestra! Maestra!  I found the word yo! Or encontré la sílaba ma!”  I mean whom else but a teacher can recognize and appreciate those light bulb moments? 


I also love to use chants or songs for transitions.  After a writing mini-lesson, we remember to capitalize/ end with a period by singing this cute chant.  By the time students click their tongue (a snap to symbolize the period), students are seated, folders are out, and they’re ready to write.

I would love it if you swung by and let me know how you use chants/songs in your classroom. 




Thanks Krista for the opportunity to share what works for my kiddos!  I love your Super Kids Blog!

*Libby

1 comment: